Friday 31 December 2010

Annie Woodford - Ice Queen


Annie's work has struck a chord with me and her obsession with frozen environments and the nature of ice brings another dimension to the forthcoming trip.

Her book, Tracing the Line of Existence was one of my most treasured Christmas presents, reminding me of the ability ice has to encapsulate time. Sledding across lakes and landscapes which hold untold stories had a deep impact on me in February but only retrospectively as my body and mind were too engaged in concentrating on the task in hand; staying warm and upright. Next year I hope to be able to open my mind to the landscape, whilst staying upright.

A quote in Annie's book, from Stephen J. Pyne's The Ice is wonderfully profound, he refers to ice as "..a white warp in space and time". Her website is really worth a visit:

http://anniewoodford.co.uk/

and she will be exhibiting as part of Collect at the Saatchi Gallery in May 2011

Collect 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment