Wednesday 24 February 2010

Home again, home again, jigiddy jig!

We made it back to Musher's Lodge in one piece! When we woke up to -41 in the sun this morning even Milos looked worried. The dogs were also uncharacteristically disinterested in moving from their ice holes, which didn't fill me with joy, but here we are. The journey was beautiful and the sun stayed with us all the way, but it got no warmer, in fact the wind chill was quite strong and we did feel it.
There was time to reflect on our journey thus far as we crossed a frozen lake so wide and vast that we seemed to stand still, nothing got any closer for at least 20 minutes. It has been a challenge in some ways, that is true, and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. I know that this is not my last time driving a sled, that is for certain, and huskies will always have a place in my heart, if not my home. It was so sad putting them to bed this afternoon, knowing that we have had our last drive.
It has been a privelege to travel with them, and this human team, who are so sound. I know I drew a very long straw with this group. We have some lovely tales to tell, which are far too long to type on my phone...

- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment